In May 2011, I participated on a discussion set up by Scottish teachers about iPod, iPads in education. The folloing notes may be of use.
- Some schools charge via USB multi plugs for large sets
- Some deploy apps via three accounts and home sharing facility. So basically on a school netowk set up three accounts and home share these to machines which then update the ipods.
- To get around the costing for the apps some schools have gifted the APP’s to themselves. So for example if they buy a copy of a GCSE D&T app then they buyt threcopies and do home sharing. Then if they had thrity devices theywould gift 27 copies (having set up three accounts to deploy)
- Ghosting is possible – Do a full backup and restore this to the devices. this is the preffered way that museums do the deployment. It will ghost settings too.
- Proxys need to be transparent for wbe access
- Lots of schools dont bother with parental restrictions
- iPhone configuration utility can be downloaded to transfer settings to the devices.
- If you want a feature added email email@example.com (check address on the site) but these all get read and often incorporated such as the iPad2 screen visibility option.