You can find the specification here
The first thing you will notice is that it is now called Computer Science not computing (as defined in the National Curriculum).
In general its good but I think they could have put much more explicit rigour into the course lets see what the exam boards can do to add to this now…. Areas in the specification for Computer Science worthy of particular note
- Strong SMSC links including esafety (AT LAST!!!!)
- Good progression linked to fundamental principles and concepts (abstraction, decomposition, logic, algorithms)
- Creative, innovative elements in the spec
Explicit mathematical links
- Boolean algebra
- Comparison of complexity of algorithms (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3453701/comparing-algorithm-complexity – This basically points towards the mathematical proof of comparing algorithms such as sorting and representing this mathematically)
- Number representations and bases
Other areas for debate now may include the vocational subjects courses to complement to Ebacc such as ICT and other computing qualifications.